Future management of survey infrastructure within NSW

Kocoski, Micheal (2017) Future management of survey infrastructure within NSW. [USQ Project]


The need to accurately position people and infrastructure is integral to today’s society and the way we live day to day. As such there is a substantial reliance on survey infrastructure as it is the fundamental layer that underpins the cadastre’s integrity along with governing the positional and spatial accuracies of the defence, construction, agricultural and surveying industries. The question as to whether survey infrastructure in its current form is adequately administered to meet the needs of modern society and its futures aspirations will be examined.

There is a developing crisis facing survey infrastructure as it is being destroyed at an exponential rate. It is inevitable that the loss of survey infrastructure will occur as cities grow and develop; however, how the profession manages survey infrastructure into the future will depend on a number of factors. This research investigated the current legislative requirement to preserve survey infrastructure, what innovations are being implemented, who is the absolute owner, marking requirements and whether GNSS could replace ground monuments moving into a digital world.

This project used a combination of methods that when joined together achieved the overall desired outcomes of how to strategically manage survey infrastructure into the future. A tiered level approach was adopted by undertaking case study analyses of an international case, several state jurisdictions, and two detailed case studies. A questionnaire was developed that formed the foundation of this research and was distributed to 128 NSW Councils and four NSW surveying institutions.

There were a total of 324 respondents to the online questionnaire and in addition to the respondents answers, there was 685 individual comments made. Of this, 75% of participants were surveyors and the remaining 25% being of a related profession. The majority, being 47% of participants believe that the Surveyor General is the absolute owner of survey infrastructure in NSW, followed by the LPI. Overwhelmingly, 94% of respondents were aware that significant fines apply for destroying or disturbing survey infrastructure, only 6% were unaware. All jurisdictions consulted have a genuine desire to preserve survey infrastructure with standardised approaches. The New Zealand case study highlighted the critical importance of survey infrastructure and the role it plays in devastating times.

The detailed case studies of Ryde LGA and the Blue Mountains LGA revealed that irrespective of the LGA the destruction rate does not discriminate. A vital link was established between the valuation of property and the valuation of the supporting survey infrastructure. The terminology ‘future management’ is more than protection and longevity, but rather how best to achieve greater awareness, preservation and of the importance of survey infrastructure and link it with a financial measure that decision makers can better relate to.

This research formulates the foundation needed to ensure the longevity and future ambitions for survey infrastructure for both the profession and the community. From the results of this project and in conjunction with the literature review, 10 recommendations were put forward and if adopted could assist in shaping the future use, management, understanding and appreciation of survey infrastructure. It is paramount that strategic management of survey infrastructure transpires as it underpins the integrity of the cadastre and supports trillions of dollars of real estate, public infrastructure together with Australia’s national defence systems.

Statistics for USQ ePrint 36679
Statistics for this ePrint Item
Item Type: USQ Project
Item Status: Live Archive
Additional Information: Bachelor of Spatial Science Honours (Surveying) project.
Faculty/School / Institute/Centre: Historic - Faculty of Health, Engineering and Sciences - School of Civil Engineering and Surveying (1 Jul 2013 - 31 Dec 2021)
Supervisors: Smith, Jessica; Paterson, Graeme
Date Deposited: 26 Jun 2019 01:54
Last Modified: 11 Aug 2021 02:39
Uncontrolled Keywords: survey infrastructure, New South Wales
Fields of Research (2008): 09 Engineering > 0909 Geomatic Engineering > 090906 Surveying (incl. Hydrographic Surveying)
Fields of Research (2020): 40 ENGINEERING > 4013 Geomatic engineering > 401306 Surveying (incl. hydrographic surveying)
URI: https://sear.unisq.edu.au/id/eprint/36679

Actions (login required)

View Item Archive Repository Staff Only